Knee strengthening is a combination of strengthening the muscles around the knees, and the muscles above and below the knee. This article focuses on the importance of the muscles Glutes and calf muscles located above and below the knees respectively.
Point 1 – The knee is controlled by the hip and knee
Knee strengthening is best achieved by strengthening the glutes (buttocks) and ankles. The knees are positioned in the middle of your hip and ankle. As a result it responds to the actions of these larger muscles.
For instance, if you stand up now and flatten the inside of your foot to the floor you will see your knee position change. Likewise, if you rotate your hip inward and keep your ankle still, you will notice that your knee remains in the same position.
Point 2- Glutes and ankle stabilise the knee
The knee will be placed in a much more stable position once these to muscles are stronger. For instace, if you are a fast bowler (cricket player), and you only have 80% pronation of your ankle (ankle rotation), where do you think your body will get the other 20% from. You guessed it, its the knee. The knees not meant to raotate.
Point 3 – strengthen the hips and ankles for a stronger knee
Knee strengthening starts with strengthening the glutes (buttocks) and ankle muscles (calf). These muscles have to work together so it would be pointless to work these muscles in isolation. Once the glutes are stronger it becomes easier to place the knee joint in a stronger position. Knee strengthening must teach the ankle, knee, hip and core region to work together
Point 4 – The glutes are the strongest muscle in the body
The gluteus muscles are three separate muscles.
One of the muscles, which is the one we spend most of our time sitting on, is the power house muscle. It is one of the most powerful muscles in the body and is one of many muscles that provide great hip strength. Strengthening this muscle is important. Due to the fact that we sit on this muscle all day the constant pressure placed on it can weaken the glutes.
Best Knee Strengthening Exercise
(1) Single leg Romanian dead lift:. One of the best knee strengthening exercises
Start with your feet at shoulder-width apart. Bend your knees, and lower the body to the floor level with your hips and pick up the other leg behind you. Make sure to keep the knee slightly bent and once again, push your hips backward, looking up, shoulders back and lower back arched.
Muscles worked: Glutes (all), knee, calf
Sets and repetitions: 3 sets of 15, with a 30
Progression: Add dumbells.
Knee strengthening Benifit:
This is great for strengthening the Glutes, while teaching the knee and ankle to work together.
The video above is all one of the best glute strengthening exercises for runners, cyclist, injury prevention or rehabilitation. Add this glute strengthening exercise to your weekly routine.
Topic: Knee strengthening